Monday, October 4, 2010

You would be surprised what you can do while working from home......

Is it kind of sad that a 32 year old man plays the Pokemon video game and enjoys it? I mean I don't think it is......well I do but I don't care. I like video games.....I shouldn't say like, more of a love hate relationship. I love to play them, I just hate spending that much time playing them. I tell my friends this. Hell the only reason I have a Nintendo 64 still is to play Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 along with the Gameboy Pokemon games I still have, Red/Yellow/Blue and Silver. lol.

Speaking of Red/Yellow and Blue. Did you know it's possible to catch Mew in those 3? And without the help of Gameshark or any other cheating devices. It's true, I have 1 and then again I have a MewTwo. I found these instructions a few years ago. And before these came out the only way to get a Mew was through special events by Nintendo or using Gameshark.....well I guess this is going to be a useless post for the day.

Here's how to do it. Click below to see



  • Restart your game and play until you get HM02 Fly from the house west of Celadon City.
  • DO NOT fight the following trainers:
    • The Youngster with a Slowpoke (Level 17) on the road to Bill's house (Route 25).  He is the fourth trainer after you cross Nugget Bridge, standing directly above a female trainer and facing north.
    • The Gambler with two Poliwags and a Poliwhirl (all Level 22) between Lavender Town and Saffron City (Route 8).  He is standing just east of the entrance to Saffron City, facing north toward the door of the Underground Path.
  • Carefully follow the series of steps illustrated below. 

Make sure you have a Pokémon that knows Fly.  On Route 8, stand in front of the door of the Underground Path.  Save your game, since saving after this point will disrupt the procedure.









 Walk down one step and immediately press Start.  If you succeed, the menu will pop up before the Gambler "sees" you. Go to the Pokémon list and fly to Cerulean City.






The Gambler will see you just before you fly away.
Your Start button will no longer function.  Go north across Nugget Bridge and head east until you find the trainer in this picture (he's the Youngster described above).

If you walk right up to the Youngster, the game will lock up, so you'll have to let him see you and walk up to you.  Defeat his Slowpoke (afterwards, your Start button will work again), then fly to Lavender Town.








Head west into Route 8.













As soon as you enter the narrow path, the menu will pop up by itself.  Press B to exit...











...and look who it is!  Mew will be at Level 7 and its only attack will be Pound.  Pokéball, go!












Once you've caught Mew, you can save your game without any ill-effects. 

There are two alternative ways to enter Route 8 and trigger Mew after beating the Youngster.  If you have access to Saffron City, you can fly there and go through the eastern city gate.  Also, you can fly to Celadon City, head east to Route 7, enter the Underground Path, and emerge back in front of the Gambler. 

Finally, the Route 8 Gambler isn't the only trainer that can initiate the trick.  The Super Nerd just west of him can also do it, as can the second Fisherman you meet when heading south from Lavender on Route 12.  There are numerous others; basically, any trainer who is scrolled onto the screen by the same step that puts you in their vision range will work.  However, remember that the final battle with Mew will only be triggered by returning to whatever route that trainer is in, which is not necessarily Route 8.

33 comments:

  1. You're never too old for Pokemon! Never-ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh god... the nostalgia... i can't take it.... D: i do not believe it's sad. at all. pokemon is an epic game for all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say whut... Who even thinks of these things. I need to test this out now :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww man this sounds fun, you are one lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll never get tired of pokemon. I used gameshark to get mew when I was a kid! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good now I don't feel as bad, @Warden CHEATER!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oldie but goldie
    interesting

    supporting and following!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was searching for my Gameboy and Pokemon Red game as I read this. I'm about to try it out now, hopefully I'll be able to transfer the mew to Pokemon Sapphire, then to my HeartGold game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Luna - I don't see why you couldn't as I was able to transfer him to Silver. If you can transfer any Pokemon to any other version, (minus the New ones to the old versions) Then it should be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pokemon is for all ages, you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pokémon rox man, was part of my upbringing! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. good thing I visited your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Quin - I don't do it all the time, as a matter of fact it's rare that I do, but it's nice when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @njohn - Neither could I at first, then one of my friends said here try this.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dammit! I'm going back into the past...

    ReplyDelete
  16. pokemon is something you never grow out of. its a way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh boy oh boy oh boy
    must have
    hahah nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome, I literally have a friend playing this game right next to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm totally gonna download this rom and start playing again. red/blue/yellow were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I worked from home I would be playing Pokemon all day too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. there were all kinds of hacks and stuff in red yellow blue. its cool that the old guy plays the game lol. rock on old man!

    ReplyDelete
  22. no way that thing about mew! omfg
    > tries it right now on his ROM
    Ill get back to u later
    nice find and cool story!

    ReplyDelete
  23. MEW! That mofo was so damn elusive!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nothing wrong with playing a little pokemon ;]

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I might just dig through my closet now to find these amazing games =[

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never too old to do something you like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do not think you're a loser or anything like that at all. Pokemon is an awesome game that can be universally appreciated... no matter what age =D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have this game and don't even play wtf is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete